Home » About KPNS » School History

School History

In 1835 the Parochial School for boys at the junction of Church Lane and Fair Green had 66 pupils and was supported by the Archdeacon of Meath. A school house was provided in 1830.

“A new national school upon a large scale is about to be built” in 1837 (Church of Ireland) at Carrick Street North. Carrick Street North School had 69 pupils in 1882. The school at church at Church Lane was closed down a year after the school at Carrick Street opened and all the children enrolled in Carrick Street.

Westland School, Moynalty was amalgamated with Kells Parochial in 1967. Kells became a two teacher school with 56 pupils on roll. Oil fired central heating was installed. The teacher’s residence attached to the school building was divided into flats and set to raise funds in 1975.

In 1998 Mrs Irl McQuade retired and Mrs. Mildred McCartney became principal.
On March 27th 2009 a new school was opened on the Navan Rd, dedicated by The Most Reverend Richard Clarke. Mrs. Mildred McCartney retired and Mr David Sammon became principal in September 2009. 

Kells Parochial National SchoolNavan Road, Kells, Meath, Ireland    E-mail: kellsparochialns@gmail.com
Copyright © 2021 Kells Parochial National School